Monday, February 21, 2011

Want To Inspire Your Child To Become President...I Do

As a parent, teacher, and writer I believe that my children can be anything that they want to be when they grow up. Heck, I can be anything I want to be when I grow up, for that matter. But how do we inspire a nation of children to believe that they can become more, especially in a time when all they want to be is a rapper or an actor?

Well, by reading to them, ofcourse. And below are some books that are aimed at inspiring our children to apply for the top job in our country,the US Presidency.

















When It comes to picture storybooks that inspire children to want to become president, my top pick goes to 'Grace For President' by Kelly Dipucchio. This book is at the top of my list for so many reasons: 1. The story starts out with a little girl realizing that we have never had a woman president in our country, so she sets out to become class president of her school. And at first, the boys laugh at Grace. But by the end the story, no one doubts that Grace can become president when she grows up. I practically tear up every time I get to the end of the book, and Grace is grown-up and being sworn in as president. My students actually think that it's quite funny. 2. This book is also awesome because it teaches children about electoral votes. And believe me, kids don't get that concept easily. But after reading Grace For President, that concept always seems to click. 3. This book shows that hard work will help you achieve your goals. And any book that inspires to children to want to work is ok by me.



'Duck For President' by Doreen Cronin comes it at a close number two on my list of top president themed books, but for entirely different reasons: 1. This book is just funny. In this story, Duck is fed up with many things, so he runs for one office after another. And the HILARIOUS thing about it all is that he's not even really qualified to do any of the offices that he's running for, but he just keeps climbing up the political ladder. Sound familiar to anyone? In the end, however, Duck realizes that being back at the farm is where he should be. So he ends his political career and goes back to being a duck. 2. 'Duck For President' is also a good story because it shows students that they really need to work hard if they want to acquire the top spot. And, again, any book that inspires kids to work hard is fine by me.



Rounding out the list of top three books that inspire small children to want to become president is 'My Teacher For President' by Kay Winters. And it's probably not going to come as a surprise as to why I like this book so much......uhmmmm...I'm a teacher. For years, I've ranted about how putting a highly effective teacher in the top position would totally solve our country's problems. And, apparently, Kay Winters also thought the same thing. Her book is adorable. Throughout the entire book, she lists the qualities that a president needs to possess in order to do a great job in office, and lists the qualities that most(not all) teachers already possess: kindness, being able to stop a fight, etc. All in all, this teacher gives 'My Teacher For President' an A++.

What is your favorite presidential themed book? Is it one of these books? I'd love to hear your comments.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, since I teach 3-year-olds, I'm not sure I've read a presidential book. But I'm definitely checking out Grace for president, thanks for the recommendation (and I'll send Christy over, since she teaches 2nd grade!).
    erica

    ReplyDelete