Monday, February 21, 2011

Activities For Read Across America














With Read Across America quickly approaching, I'd thought I'd share an activity a day that you can use in your own classroom or household (I haven't forgotten about you homeschoolers). So here's activity #1: Have an entire day or week of dressing up as characters from Dr. Suess' most beloved books. This will REALLY kick off your reading celebration, and get everyone in the mood to read.

At my school, the kindergarteners all make their own iron-on Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts and wear blue hair. It's a really cool tradition. The teachers buy the iron ons and hair, and the parents donate the red shirts. Which reminds me, I need to buy my own little one's red shirt. Guess who's the last 'who' to buy their kiddo's shirt? Yup. Me. Mrs. Responsible.

Above is a picture of myself and former intern, Ms. Jessie, posing in front of our bulletin board/reading graph. I'll talk more about the graph tomorrow. And, hopefully, I'll get down to my little kiddos Kindergarten classroom to take pics for you guys to see my little Thing 1 or Thing 2. SQUEE! I love Read Across America!

4 comments:

  1. Loved the ideas and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carole! Be sure to check back every day for new ways to celebrate Read Across America. I've got some really fun tips and activities planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (whoops, I think I accidentally exited before my comment posted)

    Basically, I said: yay for Dr. Seuss and yay for your blue hair idea!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks so fun!! Wish I could take part! Besides, I've always wanted blue hair! Can't wait to go grey so I can dye it with blue highlights! :D

    ReplyDelete