Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Waaaasup Wednesday

Waaaasup, followers! Thanks for stopping by. Since you're here, let me tell you what I'm currently working on.

WIPS (works in progress)
My main three writing projects are as follows: The Bedbug Beat, Allie the Numbertarian Alligator(working title), and Let's Go Fishin'. All three stories are picturebook(PB) manuscripts(MS) for children, primarily 8 and under. Two out of the three stories is written in rhyme, which is not for the feint of heart. It's actually a big pain in the rump. But when inspiration comes, you have to accept it on its terms. It's a gift from the Writing Gods and must be cherished.


Where I am in the flowchart of getting my work published?
For those of you who don't know, there's an unofficial flowchart of sorts when it comes to getting published. Here are the steps according to me:1.write 2.edit(a lot) 3. story is reviewed by peers("beta"ed) 4. Some more edits 5. Maybe even hire an editor, only if you're just getting started. Most writers, literary agents, and editors recommend just taking classes to learn your craft. It's definitely cheaper, and you'll learn to do it yourself. 6. Send out query or cover letters with your manuscript 7. Rejections or letters of acceptance arrive in the mail months and months later 8. Book deal(maybe, but probably not) 9. published(maybe, but probably not) 10. book signings.etc.(again, maybe, but don't hold your breath. This is only for the creme de la creme)

Right now, I'm in step 3. Each of these stories is being "beta"ed(a.k.a read by a group of peers, usually writers or editors of the same genre and age group). All three have had positive reviews, so far. Right now, I'm just working out the kinks.

So stay tuned, I hope to be sending these babies out soon. Together we can find out what sticks and what hits the fan. As the stories progress down the flowchart, you'll be the first to know. So stop by often, to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. So I am wondering...(since I have 10 minutes to sit and ponder, as you know what I am doing) How did you find this group of beta editors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I run my stories by people on Writer's Digest(site for authors and aspiring authors), the write on con website(same type deal), and a few of my friends & family. I don't really have criteria. Most of the people have kids, teach, or read a lot of kid lit. If you're interested, I'll send you stories as I finish them, too. The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete