Monday, October 25, 2010

Dog Breath: The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis



Every once in a blue moon, a book comes along and knocks your sock off. You read it over and over again. You laugh until you cry. And, ocassionally, you even pee a little. Which in my opinion, is a good sign that a book is a keeper.

Well in the case of Dog Breath: The Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis by Dav Pilkey, author of the award winning Captain Underpants series, I'm a little embarassed to admit that I practically peed my pants. Not only does this book have great pictures and a funny storyline, but it's just clever. And as a teacher and mama, I appreciate that.

In Dog Breath, the Tosis' Family dog has the worst breath in town, perhaps the entire world. Hally's breath curls wallpaper, makes skunks run for cover, and even makes the Mona Lisa plug her nose. So the parents decide that Hally Tosis must go, but the children are not quite ready to give up their beloved pet. And in an attempt to keep Hally, they try a number of equally funny things to tame Hally's bad breath, even going as far as watching a movie that's supposed to take your breath away. In the end though, it's a band of burgulars that inadvertantly help determine Hally's fate.

If you like books that make you laugh til' your sides hurt, has clever puns and phrases, and turns reluctant readers on to reading, then this book is for you.


I give it a high five.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love a good picture book recommendation! I'll be finding this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound lots of fun. I especially love clever books with lots of puns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noticed your review ratings. The four little hands are so cute. I'm using the same high-five pic for my new interview feature. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One to look for on my next trip to the bookstore! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete